Thursday, 14 November 2019

TAFE Christmas closedown

TAFE Christmas break – Nov 2019 (PDF version)

As we approach another festive period and we’d like to take this opportunity to thank all the members and delegates who contribute to make the CPSU NSW (PSA) such a united, strong and respected union. As in other years, the Government has announced a closedown for the 2019-20 Christmas and New Year period.

You can read the Premier’s memorandum HERE.

Can I work during the closedown period?

Yes. While the NSW Government encourages all non-frontline areas to shut down over the Christmas and New Year period, you are not required to put up a justification or a ‘business case’ to explain why you do not want to take leave.

Staff who intend to work should contact their relevant manager with their proposed dates.

Some agencies will be required to maintain full or reduced services. This means at least some staff may have to work through this period.

Unless you can be directed to take leave (see below), it is your choice as to whether you work or not. If your office is going to be closed, a reasonable alternative work arrangement must be made available for you.

This would mean meaningful work in a reasonable location.

If you choose to work and you feel that the only location offered is not reasonable, please contact the CPSU NSW/PSA Members Support Centre on 1300 772 679.

Can I be directed to take recreation leave due to the closedown?

You can be asked to take recreation leave if you have an ‘excess’ balance of 40 days or more as defined by clause 90.2.3 of the TAFE Commission of NSW Administrative, Support and Related Employees Enterprise Agreement 2016. For shift workers, an ‘excess’ balance is 50 days or more.

Under Clause 90.2.5, TAFE NSW may direct an employee to take their annual leave to reduce leave balances to below eight weeks or its hourly equivalent “within a reasonable time period and at a time convenient to TAFE NSW”.

CPSU NSW encourages members to regularly take recreation leave for their own health and welfare. Christmas and the New Year are a great time to do so.

Can I be directed to take extended (long service) leave or leave without pay?

No. You cannot be directed to take extended leave, or leave without pay. However, if you have no recreation leave or not enough recreation leave available, and you want to take the time off, you can request to take leave without pay.

Be Union! Be Proud! Share why you’re a member and ask your colleagues to contribute like you do by becoming a member today!

Your CPSU NSW staff

Matthew Drake-Brockman Industrial Officer

Shane Jobberns Organiser

Chris Bird Organiser

Member support 1300 772 679 or

Unite we bargain, divided we beg!

Your CPSU NSW Delegates

South Region
Brad Cowie – Wollongong

Robert Wurth – Illawarra

Regina Kimmich – Illawarra

Chris Pickering – Illawarra

Christopher Hobbins – Albury

West Region
Leanne Riley – Parkes

Patricia Nethery – Dubbo

North Region
Gale Iseppi – Hunter

Liz Garlick – Tighes Hill

Stephen O’Brien – Newcastle

Brook Down – Coffs Harbour

Garry Smith – North

Sydney Region
Dawn Davis – Ultimo

George Bissoli – Ultimo

Simon Gray – Ultimo

Joe Harris – St Leonards

Patrick Kiss – Hornsby

Western Sydney Region

Tracey Doyle – Campbelltown

Joanna Carroll – West Sydney

Glenda Pryor – Blue Mountains

Isabella Ramirra – Strathfield

Jin Cho – TAFE Digital